Tuesday, March 01, 2016

My Bedtime Story Bible for Little Ones by Jean E. Syswerda

My Bedtime Stor Bible for Little Ones by Jean E. Syswerda and illustrated by Daniel Howarth is a nice little book. The colors are vibrant, the pictures are engaging and the text is appropriate for little ones. It features 8 short stories, 4 Old Testament, 4 New Testament. In the stories, the  feature characters are all going to sleep. With each their own lullabies and a fun bedtime tuck-in, this book is sure to please most little ones, with the exceptions of those who simply don't want to go to bed!

As an adult and parent, I enjoyed the simplicity of this book. I like that it is short, that the whole book could be read in one time and that it is also separated into 8 bedtime stories. Either or could work. The one thing I do not like about this book, is that it is called a Bible. I don't find that the stories truly depict their Biblical Accounts. Things deviate slightly. Not enough to not be a Bible Story but enough that I wouldn't call it a Bible for little ones. Here is a quote from the Noah story: "Noah went into his room. He took off his sandals. He listened to the creaking and rocking of the boat. Soon he was asleep." There is nothing wrong with that story. I just don't recall seeing anything like it in the Genesis account of Noah. I may be over thinking things, but I don't think a book should be deemed a Bible is it isn't. Even if it is geared towards children. The Truth is the Truth. But, other than that, it is a sweet little book perfect for a cozy bedtime after a busy day.


No comments:

Post a Comment